The Equality Act 2010 requires us to publish information that demonstrates we have due regard for the need to:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment, victimisation and any other conduct prohibited by the Equality Act 2010
- Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it
- Foster good relations between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it.
Shenley Academy is an inclusive school, where we focus on the well-being and progress of every student and where all members of our community are of equal worth. We believe that the Equality Act provides a framework to support our commitment to valuing diversity, tackling discrimination, promoting equality and fostering good relationships between people. It also ensures that we continue to tackle issues of disadvantage and underachievement of different groups.
Our approach to equality is based on the following key principles:
- All learners are of equal value
- We recognise and respect difference
- We foster positive attitudes and relationships and a shared sense of cohesion and belonging
- We observe good equalities practice in staff recruitment, retention and development
- We aim to reduce and remove inequalities and barriers that already exist.
- We have the highest expectations of all our students. We ensure that our students are exposed to and taught about all protected characteristic through our curriculum.
The objectives below are our priorities for the next 3 years. Our Equality Objectives are based on our analysis of data and other information, and focus on those areas where we have agreed to take action to improve equality and tackle disadvantages. We will regularly review the progress we are making to meet our equality objectives