Aim Higher Plus
Aimhigher Plus is a partnership of universities, schools and colleges in the West Midlands. Shenley Academy works directly with the University of Birmingham to deliver a wide variety of interesting workshops,exciting trips and engaging events both in and out of school, designed to boost student’s subject knowledge, develop employability skills and provide advice and guidance to help students make the best decision about their future, including Further Education, Higher Education and possible careers.
Aimhigher Plus activities are delivered by staff from universities and colleges, career advisors, motivational speakers and employers. This year we have many exciting events planned. Click the titles below to see the news articles demonstrating what we got up to last year!
- Apprenticeship assemblies
- MyTutor- an online tutoring service in Maths and English for Year 11 students in the lead up to their GCSES.
- Cultural Capital London- a trip to London to see what our capital has to offer! Students loved the visits to museums and watching ‘Wicked’ on the West End!
- Emerge Leadership Programme- a programme for Year 9 students, designed to transform their attitudes and perspectives on a variety of topics, including respect, relationships, motivation and responsibility.
- Modern Foreign languages event- a fun trip to Aston University to practise language skills in a unique and engaging way.
- Masterclasses- Birmingham City University academics visited Shenley to provide interactive workshops for our sixth formers in Biochemistry and Children’s Nursing, as chosen by the students. Other masterclasses include a Game development masterclass where Year 9 and 10 students learnt how to create their very own computer game!
- Barber Institute Visit- A trip to the Art Gallery on the University of Birmingham campus to take part in a bespoke art workshop, which linked to their current syllabus in Art.
- Reach Higher- a physical rock climbing and bouldering experience focusing on overcoming goals and reaching targets. Year 10 students also developed problem solving skills and overcoming their fears taking the Leap of Faith!
- Speakers Trust- a full day of activities from a Speakers Trust trainer, designed to allow young people to embark on a journey from fear to confidence around public speaking, empowering them to speak up on an issue that matters to them.
- Bournemouth trip- Year 12 students had a day out in Bournemouth to explore the University and the lovely beach!
- Birmingham trip- students went to see Dippy the Dinosaur at the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, as well as a visit to Aston University to take part in a campus treasure hunt!
- Bletchley Park- a great day out to discover the world of decoding during World War 2. Students participated in a coding workshop and interactive tour, combining Maths and History with a great day out.
- Plus many more!