Year 7 catch-up premium
What do we do?
When students join Shenley Academy, we ensure that we know and understand the starting points for their academic progress. We receive data from the primary schools and administer several important baseline assessments at the beginning of Year 7 to assess the individual needs of each of our students. We then use funding to implement a range of strategies designed to maximise the progress of these students.
How do we do it?
- All Year 7 students are screened using GL CATS tests
- Students are taught English and mathematics in classes with an emphasis on progress by a fully qualified teacher
- The school has a consistent approach to literacy and numeracy across all subject areas
- There has been an increase in timetabled English and mathematics lessons at KS3
- Where appropriate, some students access interventions to support them with their English and/or mathematics. Students are withdrawn from some lessons for small group interventions in numeracy and/or literacy. They are never withdrawn from their English or mathematics lessons
- IDL – A phonics, spelling and punctuation based online reading programme specifically for KS3 students with weak reading skills – duration up to 12 months
- Reading box comprehension – an intensive reading programme with a focus on fluency and comprehension to improve understanding of texts and written responses – duration up to 12 months
- Maths and numeracy – Focus on basic skills / using ‘Numeracy programme’ and ‘ 123maths’ – duration up to 12 months
Overview of the school and funding 2018-2019
|Total number of pupils on roll||1046|
|Total number of Year 7 students on roll||205|
|Total number of students eligible for catch up funding|
(based on a below 100 score)
|Amount of funding received per pupil||£500|
|Total amount of funding received||£15,000|
In addition there are also students who access:-
- intensive small-group tuition
- external services and materials
- additional IT equipment / access to updated software
The impact of the catch up premium is evaluated each year and Impact Reports are written.